What is this blog about?

I model narrow gauge railways in 7mm and 1/4" scales.

I'm not too sure how precise I want to be about stating my modelling goals in much detail as there are many varied attractions for me in this hobby and so my interests and challenges are equally varied. Individual interests ebb and wane from time to time so some projects can take a short time to complete and others seem to on the workbench forever.

This blog is an attempt to record the progress of construction of some models; but I'm not too sure where this will go or how much I will achieve. It's a fun hobby so I hope that will not diminish while trying to keep this up to date.

Saturday 12 March 2011

Progress so far ... the Engine Units

Here are a few photos of the progress made so far on the locomotive.

The engine units have taken up the most time so far. And i'm wondering if this hasn't been a psychological issue for me in trying to avoid the time when the Walschaerts valve gear is to be built and installed. Not having built up this valve gear before, it seems daunting. I've read the instructions at least a thousand times but it doesn't seem to be getting any easier to my mind.

I've incorporated some 8BA nuts into the front and rear frames so that the tank and bunker platforms can be removed from the frames for painting and maintenance. As the engine will have dcc sound and maybe a smoke unit installed, I'd prefer to be easily able to get at the motors and other electronics (such as LED lighting) that will be hiding under each end's tank.
  
An Engine Frame showing the almost- hidden 8BA nuts used to secure the frame to the tank platform.


I've been adding more detail than what is supplied with the kit and modifying some of the supplied castings to better reflect the detail possible in 7mm scale.  These detail items include more detailed and better shaped sand hoppers on each engine unit (supplied in kit), fully detailed sand bunker operating gear on the hind bunker unit (not supplied), scratchbuilt and LED-lit marker lamps (not supplied) and detailed oil line piping from the mechanical lubricators (not supplied) on each frame unit.


Rear Bunker on its Engine Frame


It's a bit hard to see from these photos, but i've plated the frame platforms with scale treadplate which came as a brass sheet etched by a local modelling company.

Rear Bunker with the start of the Sander operating gear

Also added to the front water tank are the electrical lines running from the footplate to the headlamp (I'll be using the large round headlight on this model with an LED lamp and lens) and added detail to the water filler cap such as latch and hinges.


Front Tank on its Engine Frame
 


No comments:

Post a Comment