What is this blog about?

I model narrow gauge railways in 7mm and 1/4" scales.

I'm not too sure how precise I want to be about stating my modelling goals in much detail as there are many varied attractions for me in this hobby and so my interests and challenges are equally varied. Individual interests ebb and wane from time to time so some projects can take a short time to complete and others seem to on the workbench forever.

This blog is an attempt to record the progress of construction of some models; but I'm not too sure where this will go or how much I will achieve. It's a fun hobby so I hope that will not diminish while trying to keep this up to date.

Saturday 12 March 2011

Where do I start?

I've had this kit for a number of years (January 2005) and have only slowly pogressed on it.

My enthusiasm goes up and down regularly and so there are long stretches of time where I will work on another interest or where nothing happens at all at the modelling bench.

I have a detailed set of prototype plans of the second last build set of these Beyer, Peacock engines (SAR Nos. 137 to 143 of 1958) and as the Backwoods Miniatures (BM) kit is supposed to be based on the 1951 batch of engines from the same manufacturer, there are many detail differences that I need to resolve between the kit as supplied and the detailed set of plans I intend to follow.

As I work through the construction of the engine, I'm deciding which elements of the kit I will retain as is, even though there might be an obvious discrepency with the plans, and those detail elements which will be deleted or modified. I like to take photos of the build as it goes so hopefully there will be plenty of things to show.

General Arrangement of an NG/G16 Garratt - 1958
General Arrangement of an NG/G16 Garratt - 1958

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rick, is there any chance to get a set of copies of your NGG16 plans? Please contact me here: wenz-modellbau@t-online.de. Thanks a lot in advance! Ekkehard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, any chance I could get a copy of the plans as well? I'm starting work on a 5" gauge version but my plans aren't as detailed as yours.
    Many thanks,

    Christopher (cgmlee@mac.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christopher:
      I bought my set of plans (200 pdf drawings) from http://www.sarsteam.co.za/cid-8-1-info.html
      The site has lots of goodies
      All the best
      Rick

      Delete
    2. Hi Rick,

      many thanks for the link, that is really going to help me along.

      Delete