What is this blog about?

I model narrow gauge railways in 7mm and 1/4" scales.

I'm not too sure how precise I want to be about stating my modelling goals in much detail as there are many varied attractions for me in this hobby and so my interests and challenges are equally varied. Individual interests ebb and wane from time to time so some projects can take a short time to complete and others seem to on the workbench forever.

This blog is an attempt to record the progress of construction of some models; but I'm not too sure where this will go or how much I will achieve. It's a fun hobby so I hope that will not diminish while trying to keep this up to date.

Saturday 12 March 2011

Progress so far ... Marker lamps

The BM kit does provide etches for the marker lamp brackets but does not mention anything about the marker lamps themselves.  I looked everywhere to find a 7mm scale lamp that resembled the South African ones i'd seen pictures of on the engines but none seem to be availaable commercially. There is a solid outline of the marker lamps on a couple of the drawings in the plan set i have so i decided to scratchbuild a set of four lamps based on those outline drawings.

Marker lamps outline from NG/G16 plan set
The lamps were made from brass square tube, round tube and plate. And there are about 16 parts in each lamp housing.  The handles are thin copper wire and  i drilled out the front lens holders to accept MV Lens lamp lenses that will be added once the LED lights are in place.

The four scratchbuilt marker lamps
 And this is how they look for size in my hand.

An indicator of their actual size

No comments:

Post a Comment